Like a dog returning to its' own vomit, I keep hitting my head against the insanity of postings in Maine online newspapers regarding the issue of same sex marriage.
Christians seem like a good attack target for the pro crowd. Those on the attack like to make references to contents of the Bible. Sadly, nearly all the comments I've read show the incredible lack of understanding of what they are writing. These come from Christians who favor the legislation as well as those who do not state their beliefs, or are outspoken atheists.
We seem to be living in a period of increasing Politically Correctness. Perhaps this fawning to a small group of people with a disproportionate amount of clout, owing to their better than average economic well being, is a backlash meant to correct all the horrible treatment dumped on minorities by those in the majority, or at least, those in power. We can't correct what has happened by doing something incorrect today.
My own personal belief on the issue is irrelevant, but I'm going it share it anyway. Not that anyone really cares, but I'm going to. I have a gay cousin-in-law. My brother-in-law has a son who is gay. I care deeply for my cousin and his companion. If anyone is seeing red here believes me to be a hypocrite on the issue, my cousin knows that my Christianity would shape my opinion on Same Sex marriage. I think we still love each other. I once worked with a man who lost his partner. We wept together in his office. He knew my position on same sex marriage. Guess what? We cared about each other anyway.
Why did Perez Hilton express such outrage at Ms. California for expressing her belief? Doesn't he know that people are allowed to state what they believe? There are places on this planet where he wouldn't be alive because he is gay. What an idiot.
Have I offended anyone? Good, because Gay activism offends me. I'm allowed, and say that only so the activists don't forget offense works both ways. It is interesting that the mouth of dissent is the majority in this case, yet that mouth is being told it should be ashamed of itself for speaking such discrimination and oppressiveness. I never want "political correctness" to become such a monster that only those who believe in the god of relative truth and situational ethics are allowed to voice their beliefs, and the mouth of dissent is shut forever. When that happens, we can kiss this country goodbye. Am I mistaken, or has the revisionist history gone so far already, but - didn't the U.S. become the U.S. because of, among other things, dissent?
It looks at this point like same sex, or gay, marriage may become law in Maine. There will be a campaign for a People's Veto referendum in November. The People's Veto may well overturn the Legislature's vote to legalize same sex marriage. If that happens, I hope the gay community will accept it until they can bring the issue back to the legislature, which, of course, they will. In the same vein, I hope those not in favor of same sex marriage will be gracious in their acceptance of having neighbors of the same gender who are legally "married". Ultimately, we live together in peace, or we live together in disharmony. I would prefer peace, even if my terms aren't politically correct, relatively truthful, or situationally ethical according to the left.
Do not think, though, that little victories like the legal right to marry if one is gay, will lead to the disappearance of evangelical Christianity from America. God is a little larger than that, and we don't go until He says we go.
Monday, May 4, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


No comments:
Post a Comment